In December 2012, my Dad underwent open heart surgery for a valve that wasn’t up to par. He had been having issues with it for many years and it finally came to the point where the doctors were not letting it go any further. I can remember it like yesterday being in the prep room and praying for him. I spoke over him that “God will give you a new heart” It wasn’t a heart transplant, per se, that my Dad would have but his heart would never be the same.
Do you remember when you came to the cross and accepted Jesus as Lord of your life? You came to Him and surrendered to Him that He would take control (or at least, that’s what you meant when you did it) of your life from that point further? Israel had this problem many different times throughout scripture. They would confess that In Ezekiel 11: 19; the prophet wrote “And I will give them singleness of heart and put a new spirit within them. I will take away their stony, stubborn heart and give them a tender, responsive heart.” God would then later call in chapter 18:31-32 “find yourselves a new heart and a new spirit. For why should you die, O people of Israel? I don’t want you to die, says the Sovereign Lord. Turn back and live!” God consistently called the people of Israel to have a heart transplant for Him. He desired to see their hearts turned from their ways and back to Him.
I love how God, being the ultimate Godly Dad, even gave us the instructions to receive that new heart. He gave us a prescription that would allow us to continue to use that new heart;
Psalms 51:10 – Seek the Physician
- “Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a loyal spirit within me.”Without the Physician, you cannot receive the proper care.
Proverbs 13:12 – The Prescription is Hope
- “Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life.”
Proverbs 4:20:21- Don’t Fail To Take Your Prescription
- “My child, pay attention to what I say. Listen carefully to my words. Don’t lose sigh of them. Let them penetrate deep into your heart.”
Psalms 119:11- Take Daily For Desired Results
- “I have hidden Your word in my heart, that I might not sin against thee.”
Proverbs 17:3- Check Ups Are Regularly Given
- “Fire tests the purity of silver and gold, but the Lord tests the heart.”
It is so important that you and I, as Dads, give our children the prescription daily as well. Each day, our hearts need to be checked and the Word needs to be applied to that regiment.